Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cooking for Dummies


I'm taking this cake decorating class, but did not get the memo that I would actually have to BAKE the cakes. (Not sure where I thought they would come from, but whatever.) Regardless, I know my limits in the kitchen - so box cake it is. How can you screw up a box cake, after all. Well, let me count the ways.
1. The box might say there's enough in there for 2 9" round pans, but at least when you're decorating, use it all in one. Otherwise those are some TINY layers.
2. The oil is not merely a suggestion. And I completely forgot to add it to one of the cakes.
3. Separating egg yolks from the egg whites is tough. But on a positive note, I now have a dozen eggs in my refrigerator for I think the first time ever.
4. If the cake isn't done in the middle (even though you stuck a toothpick in the outer part and it came out clean - WTF), it will collapse in on itself. Not a pretty picture. Gonna have to add a LOT of icing to that one.
5. I don't know WHAT the hell happened to the first one I made, but attempting to ice it created a giant cakeball of crumbs and icing. Which probably tasted amazing, but I was too embarrassed to bring it to class and had to make another one.
Doing the math, you can see I have obviously made more cakes than my three classes would necessitate. Again, I know my limits. And every time I buy a box cake, I buy three. Look out, Rachael Ray. (Not because I'm going to out-cook you. Because I might catch the kitchen on fire.)

5 comments:

  1. Those little pictures of eggs and measuring cups on the box are for people who don't read instructions. Like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll throw this one out as a preventative measure. You SHOULD NOT use olive oil. Not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh - thanks, Chris. Helpful tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #5 You need to do a crumb layer... And yes, it is still very yummy.. Seriously, you crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather - that's what I was TRYING to do, sadly. No Food Network shows in my future. Except maybe "Worst Cooks in America."

    ReplyDelete