Monday, February 24, 2020

Channeling Dark Helmet

So little Beau has a flat spot on one side of his head. He prefers one side to the other, so for the past month I've been trying to get him to use the other side to balance things out. We have another month before we go back to the doctor, but I'm assuming he will say the dreaded words: He needs a helmet.
Now, I get that you don't want to have a misshapen head. And it's probably tougher for boys because someday they could be bald and really look like a weirdo. But I'm really wavering on whether or not we should move forward (assuming we have to). 

  • His would probably have to be worn all summer, when it's brutally hot in Texas. I can't even imagine how sweaty/stinky/uncomfortable that would be.
  • He has to wear it for 23 hours a day, and only take it off to get a bath and clean the helmet with rubbing alcohol (?!).
  • I have been reading about babies getting rashes and scabs from the helmets, which just sounds awful.
  •  There are bi-weekly, sometimes weekly, appointments to get the helmet shaved down as his head grows. 
  • Did I mention it's typically not covered by insurance and can cost up to $4000?
On the plus side, you can get it to look like this:

BB8!! I mean maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment