Monday, April 15, 2013

I want my MTV

I was watching parts 1-2 of a six-part series about the 80s last night - good times. First of all, Rob Lowe provides the voiceover, so that's a good start right there. There was a significant section about the launch of MTV in 1981, and it talked about how small towns with cable got it before the big cities. (Wichita got their MTV before NYC!) I'm not sure when we got MTV, but I remember seeing it when I was over at friends' houses who had older siblings, and just not really understanding what was going on. Until I saw the Thriller video at my house. I guess I was about 7? At that point, kids at school were dressing up as Boy George and Madonna, so it became part of daily life. Too bad they don't play music on MTV anymore. Maybe for it's 40th (!) birthday in 2021, they should revert back to the old format. And bring back Martha Quinn, while they're at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment