Monday, December 10, 2012

Run, Forrest, Run

Yesterday was the Dallas White Rock Marathon. Charlie and I went down to the street to watch the runners and cheer them on (technically we were blocked into the apartment complex because of the race anyway, so not much else to do, but I feel fairly certain we would have gone down there regardless). Best poster (tie): "You look skinny" and "You are NOT almost there!" Ha.

Watching the runners made me sentimental about when I ran the marathon back in 1999. Yes, kids - this was before the dawn of the iPod, so I had a fanny pack full of mixed tapes (!) which all came unraveled as I started running so I was stuck listening to the radio for 4 1/2 hours. Alas.

Then in 2009 I signed up again, but my body decided to rebel so I ran the half. And for some reason at mile 11 I thought I only had a mile left so started to seriously pick up the pace. At mile 12 there was no finish line and I realized my mathematical miscalculation. Bummer.

But in the end, I'm definitely glad I can mark both races off my bucket list. And possibly never run again.

No comments:

Post a Comment