Thursday, September 5, 2013

das ist gut.

It was surprising how little English was actually spoken in Switzerland.  And also how little this fact made me panic. However, I did get a little lost wandering around Zurich, so found a newsstand and asked the couple working there if they could point me in the right direction -even used a map to demonstrate. And the lady said in halted English, "speak Italian?" Ummm no. So now not only are people not speaking English, they're not even speaking German. Bueno.

 The second near-tragedy happened also in Zurich at the train station. I was looking for the train back to the airport, but saw nothing helpful. It was not written in English anywhere, and there were not even any pictures of a nice airplane as guidance. Come on people. Give the tourists a fighting chance. Thank god I listened to those Learn German in Your Car CDs - I remembered that "flughafen" was the word for airport, so I said a quick prayer and got on the train. And sure enough - airport. Dear lord. It's all fun and games until I accidentally end up in Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment