Thursday, April 5, 2012

I don't speak RiRi



Somehow the Rihanna song "Cheers" has made it onto the last five CD mixes I have burned. It's not a new song, but I loves it. But until this week, I really had no idea what she was saying. I guess I blame her Barbados accent?


The chorus, as I sang it:


Cheers to the freakin' weekend

I drink to that (yeah yeah)
Oh, let the Jameson sink in (to be fair, only knew she was saying "Jameson" because the video was close-captioned at the gym)

I drink to that (yeah yeah)

Don't let the ????? get you down

Turn it around with another round

There's a party at the bar

Everybody put your glasses up and

I drink to that...


What a positive message, no?


But let's get back to the ????? portion. At first I thought she was saying "bar studs." Which was weird, because why would studs get you down? So then I thought maybe it was "bar stools." But again, I enjoy a bar stool. It's actually having to stand UP at a bar that gets me down.


So finally, this week, I realized she was actually telling you to not let the BASTARDS get you down. Well, that makes much more sense. Thanks RiRi.

No comments:

Post a Comment