Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Mother Nature is a B.

Ah, Texas. Home of the Alamo, longhorns, big hair, and tornados. 15 of them hit the Dallas area yesterday, making for an exciting day at the office. I was seeing panicked Facebook posts all afternoon, people taking pictures in closets, posting Doppler radar pics, etc. But the storm cell (yep, I listened to the weather) took it's sweet time getting to Plano. The sirens went off, and sweet Floyd the building engineer got on the loudspeaker and told everyone to go downstairs into hallways/stairwells and, I quote, "put yo hands over yo heads." Which will be my new mantra in life.

So we obediently filed down to the first floor and sat. (We did NOT put our hands over our heads. Sorry, Floyd.) No cell service, so I couldn't even check Facebook - I mean, update friends and family of my situation - but sweet Floyd made a few more announcements to at least keep us updated. The one that actually made me nervous said that a tornado had touched down about 6 miles from us, and was headed our way. Um, great. And it was so obvious that I was neither a parent nor a pet owner - my main concern was for my Jeep, parked out in the (uncovered) parking lot. As I said a quick prayer for my own safety, you better believe I added, "...and please no hail damage. Amen."

But nothing ever happened, and we finally got the all clear about an hour later. Watching the news this morning and seeing the images, it's amazing there were no deaths and so few injuries. And no hail damage. Boo-ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment