Wednesday, October 24, 2012

All dressed up (in costume) and no place to go

Somehow I have three Halloween costumes this year. I will do my damndest to wear them all, even just around the house. Reminds me of some of the better costumes I've worn over the years - and of course the best ones were homemade:

  • Winnie the Pooh, age 5: Halloween night, refused to wear the red "Pooh" shirt, so technically I was just a bear. With a giant bandage on my chin - while practicing for the Halloween parade at school, I tripped over a speed bump and had to get 9 stiches. Lovely.

  • Scorpion biker gang, age 9: My mom, brother and I all wore jean jackets with giant glittery scorpions on the back. We drew on tattoos (before the dawn of the press-on tat), wore sunglasses and gold chains, and my brother (age 4) greased his hair back. Fairly awesome.

  • Kermit the frog, age 17: We couldn't dress up in high school until senior year, so it was kind of a big deal. I rocked a green unitard, wore actual flippers (which were ridiculously hard to walk in), and a green skull cap that my mom sewed ping pong ball halves on for the eyes. Good times.

  • Although I try to avoid the "slutty" costumes, once I was a "slutty" referee. I only knew the touchdown and facemask hand signs, and kept throwing yellow flags at people.

  • And then one year I went as Tom Cruise in Risky Business. Lots of younger girls thought I was a one-night stand (sigh), and wearing socks (no shoes) to a bar proved rather disgusting.
Here's hoping at least one of the three this year will go over well - if nothing else, blog fodder. There's always blog fodder. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment