Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Doh wah diddy, indeed

Growing up, my dad's prize possession (aside from the tennis trophies, of course) was his jukebox. It was awesome - lit up, no quarter required to play it, and filled to the brim with old 45 records. That's the music I grew up listening to - Neil Sedaka, the Big Bopper, Lesley Gore, and my personal favorite, Barry Mann's "Who Put the Bomp." (Google it - the lyrics are ridiculous.) My friends would come over, we'd play dress up and then lipsynch to these songs. Lots of excellent doo wops and shama lama ding dogs, I assure you. Although I also remember "Sara" by Starship being in the mix - which certainly wasn't an oldie (um, at least it wasn't at the time) - maybe it was in my honor. I like to think so, anyway.

My dad still has the jukebox. Not sure it works anymore, but it still looks pretty damn cool. Just like my dad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment