Friday, October 20, 2017

#metoo...soon?

Saw this while driving to work today:

Is it just me, or is this fairly offensive? Especially with the wave of #metoo posts this week regarding sexual harassment and assault.

I am a "me too" too. I'm sure there have been instances of harassment over the years (and sadly, I like most women just shrug them off and move on), but in my case it was assault. I was a senior in high school and went to visit my parents' alma mater for a college visit. Stayed with a girl who graduated the year before me, and we went out with a bunch of her friends (many guys on the football team included). There was drinking involved, and we went back to the dorm to crash. I had my own room which adjoined with my friend's via a shared bathroom. At some point one of the football players came into my room (not sure how) and climbed on top of me. He was kissing me and touching me. I just pretended to be asleep/passed out, because I didn't know what to do and he was much bigger than me. He eventually got angry and starting shaking my shoulders to get me to wake up. I was truly convinced I was going to be raped, but I kept my eyes squeezed shut. Luckily he gave up and passed out - in my bed. I moved right up against the wall and didn't sleep all night. I crept out of the room at 5am and sat outside on the steps with my suitcase until my dad came to get me.

I honestly had forgotten about this story until the Trump harassment allegations came to light last year, and it came searing back again this week. I know I'm one of the lucky ones - it could have been a lot worse - but it was fairly traumatic for my 17-year-old self. (Needless to say I did not apply to that college.)

Stay strong, ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment