Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Give me a (tax) break.

Having Georgie in December, I was told "Ooh that's great! You will get the child tax credit!" Well, not to be too #firstworldproblems, but apparently one can make too much money to qualify. And I do. So there's that. Filling out my taxes online, it said I owed $1000. Which was probably true, but I decided to go to H&R Block just in case they could help me at all. Well, they opted to file me as head of household instead of single, and I got a $3000 refund! Totally worth the $300 appointment, if you ask me.

One more money gripe: got a bill from the hospital for $2000 for the baby's birth. I called my insurance company - I met both my out-of-pocket and my deductible last year, so didn't think I should owe anything. Turns out the second she was born I went from single to family, doubling my out-of-pocket and deductibles. Bummer, but at least I'm halfway to meeting it this year! Not so fast - that was for 2017 (the last 4 days of it); I start back at zero for 2018. COME ON PEOPLE.


No comments:

Post a Comment