Monday, February 7, 2011

The Big Thaw

The sun finally came out on Saturday. I had forgotten what it looked like. Apparently so had the rest of Dallas, because EVERYONE was out and about. At the grocery store. At the gas station. And mostly on McKinney Avenue. But we'll get to that.

Grocery store: I was dangerously close to running out of food by Friday night. Literally couldn't eat another spoonful of oatmeal, which I had subsisted on for four days. I was pulling random boxes out of my pantry - rice pilaf? Sure! Couscous? Why not! (Carb fest? You betcha!) - and just trying to pull together some sort of meal. I couldn't BAKE anything because I didn't have basics like eggs and milk (sorry, mom). So by the time I got to Kroger, I vowed as God is my witness, I'll never go hungry again! And proceeded to spend $100 on anything and everything I could get my hands on. 10 rolls of toilet paper! 2 12-packs of DDP! WINE! Sugar! Milk!
Bring it, Mother Nature. I DARE you to ice me in again.

Next up, the 2nd Annual Snuggie Pub Crawl. Debuting my new UNC Snuggie, I joined literally hundreds and hundreds of other infomercial fans traipsing up and down McKinney. In the sun, those bad boys were even a little - dare I say - toasty. But it was so awesome to be out and be talking to other humans that I didn't mind a little Snug sweat. Towards the end of the evening, we happened upon a new bar with a mechanical bull out front. Never one to shy away from a challenge, I hopped up, Snuggie and all. Did NOT last 8 seconds, but it was amusing.

And then a dude in a Harry Potter Snuggie (?!) complimented me on my UNC one. Said he was from Virginia and a big Carolina fan. Right on, buddy. He pressed on, asking when I graduated. I could tell he was a young pup, so I tried to defer by saying "a long time ago..." But he really wanted the date, so I told him 1999 and jokingly asked if he was still in high school at the time. Alas, he was in MIDDLE SCHOOL. And...scene.

3 comments:

  1. It only gets worse. When working with other TCU alums in HP, inevitably the question is asked... and while they erase the stunned look off their face, I, in return ask - and when did YOU graduate? Oh last semester.
    Awesome. So when I graduated HIGH SCHOOL, you were only a twinkle in your mother's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry Potter Snuggie? So many possibilities. Cowgirl Snuggie. Bikini Snuggie. Louis Vuitton Snuggie. Viking Snuggie. I see $$$$.

    ReplyDelete