Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tornad-oh no



So last night was pretty scary. Got home from dinner just in time to hear the emergency weather service announcement on the car radio, and upon checking the weather report on the TV, decided this tornado business was no joke. And once the sirens started going off, I decided to crouch in my stairwell. Sucks being single at a time like that - texted "Tornados!" to my mom. No response. Called her. No response. Called my dad. No response. Called my brother. No response. Seriously folks?? (My bro did call me back, however.) Thank god for Facebook. Keeping people connected in a natural disaster.

The baseball-sized hail sounded god-awful, and I was especially thankful for having covered parking. Apparently so were the HPHS punks who took over two of the spots in my complex with their ginormous SUVs. Um, your parents could actually PAY for any hail damage, kids. Listening to the wind/hail/sirens, I opted to move into a closet. And then the power went out. Awesome. Pitch black in a potential tornadic event. And I was in my pjs, make-up off! Not the best look should I wind up homeless and wandering the streets.

At that point I talked to my very-weather-conscious grandmother, who turned on the Weather Channel and talked me through it. She asked if I had a weather radio - um, no - which totally means this birthday will have a "Tornado Prep Kit" theme. Sweet.

All in all, made it through AOK and it certainly makes you count your blessings. And really want a boyfriend to keep you company. Or a dog. :)

2 comments:

  1. John & I definitely were hanging out in the bathtub with pillows and blankets and peanut butter pretzels. Um, you coulda totally joined us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I just might next time. That sounds lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete