Wednesday, November 30, 2016

No sleep til Greece

Flying from London to Athens on Aegean Airlines was interesting, to say the least.

First of all, the flight left at 10:30pm and arrived at 4:30am in Athens - and it was COMPLETELY FULL. My mom and I were both stuck in middle seats, and let's just say we were the only blondes on board. The girl next to me had a baby (clearly Greek - he had amazing eyebrows at just a few months old), and she whipped out her boob to breastfeed several times throughout the flight. No blanket covering her or anything. (I have no problem with this; it was just a bit awkward because I was RIGHT NEXT TO HER.)

You would think an overnight flight would be dark and everyone would be sleeping. You would be wrong. The full cabin lights were on the whole time, and they served dinner. At 1am. And my mom ate the whole thing. (Some sort of couscous and lamb concoction that made my stomach turn. Or that could have been the insane turbulence.)

And similar to my experience last year on Austrian Air, they talk in their native tongue over the loudspeaker for like 5 minutes, then provide an English summary of about 10 words. I'm like - I KNOW you are giving the good emergency advice to the Greeks, and the Americans are just going to be stuck swimming for their lives in the ocean!

We then had a 6 hour layover in Athens before our 30-minute flight to Santorini - and again, the airport was PACKED. DFW at 4:30am would be a ghost town. Not so in Athens. We tried to sleep on the floor, but a guard told us that wasn't allowed. Plus I was too nervous about someone stealing my suitcase to get any sleep. So technically my 65-year-old mother and I pulled an all-nighter. Such rock stars, I tell you what.

No comments:

Post a Comment