Thursday, February 11, 2016

Paging Dr Ross

Turns out the worst time to be single and have no family in town is when you're in the hospital. I am rarely sick and have only been in the ER once before (for stitches), so yesterday's 8-hour stint was quite eye-opening. First of all, ER waiting rooms are terrifying. (Although the 4pm scene compared to the packed midnight crowd was quite different.) I had been experiencing pressure in my chest and elevated blood pressure, so I got an EKG, followed by a bunch of bloodwork, chest x-ray (wheeled down to radiology!) and an IV. Once hooked up to the IV, the fire alarm started going off and I had a total panic attack, because no one was coming to check on me and I couldn't move. I debated ripping the IV out of my arm and  making a run for it, but finally a nurse responded to the call button that it was a false alarm. Jesus. The blood work tested positive for a blood clot, so then I had to inject dye and get a CAT scan. (Mind you, since this was the ER, I was superceded by a trauma and a stroke, so these tests were like hours apart.) Turned out to be a false positive, and I was sent home with prescriptions for all kinds of stuff - acid reflux, muscle relaxers and pain meds. So this weekend should be fun.

Also, I picked an awesome day to wear Spanx. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment