Friday, February 3, 2017

Unexpected workout 101

My team is picking up some extra duties after a colleague left, and one of those duties is taking charge of the fun runs for employees. About 30 are running the Hot Chocolate Run tomorrow, so I had to go down to Fair Park (50 miles roundtrip from my office btw) and pick up all the packets. And this race offers hooded sweatshirts instead of t-shirts, which are heavier. (This will be important in a moment.)

Besides the 30 that were pre-boxed, I had an additional 8 who also needed packets, so I waited in line for their bibs first. Then had to get into the very long line for customer service to pick up the box. Which weighed 40 pounds and was basically a bulky nightmare. I left it to go into ANOTHER line to get the straggling 8 sweatshirts. Put those over my arm and went back for the box. Now, I consider myself to be in decent shape, but this was too much. I would take 20 steps, then have to rest. It was only 40 something degrees out, but I was drenched in sweat. Heartrate racing. I made it to a grassy patch and decided to roll the box. Which was of course a square, not meant for rolling, but I got a decent rhythm going.

I still had about a half mile walk remaining and my arms were jelly, so a very kind woman insisted on helping me. We found a maintenance guy, who agreed to drive me and my giant box (that's what she said) to my car. I am SO SORE today. It was like the most ridiculous thing I've ever done, and I've told everyone at work that I will not be doing this again. ESPECIALLY since I'm not even running this race!!!

#sorrynotsorry #justsore-y

No comments:

Post a Comment