Monday, April 9, 2018

Let's do the time warp again

Drove to San Antonio this weekend with baby and my mom in tow (was too nervous to make the drive with the baby solo) to meet my dad, brother, sister-in-law and toddler nephew for a little family time. My parents went to Trinity University and they were having a tennis reunion, so I sort of thought we would be heading over to the college to watch my dad cut the ribbon at some hall of fame thing, but mostly we hung out in his giant hotel room. The cousins got to meet, which was adorable, and then it was time for dinner. My brother Googled nearby restaurants and decided we had to go to Magic Time Machine. Somehow this restaurant still exists in Dallas, and I remember it being super weird/fun when I was little, but haven't been back since I was like 8.

Well fear not - it's still super weird. In fact, the whole evening felt like a giant acid trip (not that I would know...). Most of the tables are still in little huts, and the waitstaff still dresses up in costumes (and act the part all night long). Our waiter was Ace Ventura, and I think he said "alrighty then" about 800 times. Also "hilarious" - the fact that you can get prime rib and lobster tail there. Why you would order that at Magic Time Machine is beyond me, but so is the entire restaurant concept. And then some lady came over the loudspeaker to announce face painting in one of the rooms, and again later because some poor kid was lost and couldn't figure out which hut his family was sitting in.

Considering I don't think I have eaten a meal with just my mom, dad and brother since my brother's high school graduation in 2001, this lunacy seems about right. At the very least, it was incredibly memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment