Wednesday, April 4, 2018

We are family

My uncle is super into ancestry and has traced my mom's family back hundreds of years. I know very little about my dad's side, and since Georgie doesn't HAVE a dad's side, my uncle wanted to do some research on the Stocktons. He found out some pretty cool stuff:

  • My dad's father's name was Stockton Newman, and at some point he changed it to Richard Stockton. (Hello, Newman.)
  • The Stocktons can be traced back to a Richard L Stockton who signed the Declaration of Independence and was good friends with George and Martha Washington. He also donated the land that became Princeton University. (scholarship for Georgie???)
  • His grandson Robert Field Stockton was a Commodore in the Navy, and both Stockton, California and Fort Stockton in Texas were named after him. ("Stock-town, the Bay Area and back-down")
  • We also have several relatives named Socrates, and even a Hippolite (Greece is the word, apparently)
My uncle is still investigating, but so far, so cool in my opinion. #gostocktonsgo #ornewmans

No comments:

Post a Comment