Monday, September 17, 2012

Raw deal.



I'm not the most adventurous when it comes to food. I basically eat the same thing every night - why fix it if it ain't broke? So I never thought I would be a sushi person. I mean - it's raw. Fish. Ew. The first time I ever tried it was in New York back in like 1999. We went to some fancy restaurant that served smores you cooked on your table (awesome), and sushi, apparently. An odd combination, but hey - it's New York. They can do whatever they want. I guess it was a California roll that I tried, but I was so nervous that I would gag that I drenched it in soy sauce and that's all I tasted. (Fine by me)

In recent years, I've eaten it more - still can't stomach sashimi, but I have moved beyond mere California rolls (which are like the lamest of the rolls, according to sushi connoisseurs) - hell, I've even had sake. But last week I ventured into unknown territory - the dreaded tuna tower. I had only seen one once, and to be honest, it looked like someone had already chewed it up and spit it back out. (Sorry.) But my friend ordered it for us, so I thought I might as well take a chance. And who knew - it was delicious. Not exactly pretty to look at, but soooo tasty. I think I might have a new favorite. California who?

No comments:

Post a Comment