Thursday, September 4, 2014

I plan on planting a flag up there with my face on it...

While hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park over the weekend, I expressed my regret that I had never gotten to the top of Long's Peak, the tallest mountain in the Park. I got close once - we made it to a spot called the Keyhole, but it was really windy and icy from there to the top so we turned around. It's not an easy hike, either - 14.5 miles roundtrip, 5,000+ feet elevation gain, and you have to start at like 2am to make sure you're back down below treeline before the thunderstorms so you don't get struck by lightning. Plus it's super dangerous - a kid died on the mountain last month because the winds were so strong he literally blew off. Um, why are we doing this again? #adventurous #idiots

No comments:

Post a Comment