Tuesday, June 14, 2016

ENOUGH.

Lucky for you, there was no Bachelorette on last night, allowing me to get up on my soapbox about the DIRE NEED for gun control in this country. I am so angry and upset I could scream. This has got to stop.




And to my dear conservative friends, here are the common gun lobby arguments and some (hopefully) rational responses:




1. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Well guess what - people with guns sure can kill a lot more people than people without guns.


2. This is a mental health issue, not a gun issue. Probably true. But perhaps you would agree that a mentally ill person should certainly not be allowed to buy a gun...


3. Gun laws won't do any good. Australia enacted very strict gun regulations in 1996 following the Port Arthur massacre, and they have had ZERO mass shootings since then. Clearly what we're doing isn't working, so why not at least entertain the idea.


4. It's my God-given right. It's in the Constitution. Folks, the Constitution was written back when slavery was around. There was no electricity. It was over TWO HUNDRED YEARS ago. Plus, they had muskets. Not semi-automatic killing machines. At the very least, we must ban automatic and semi-automatic weapons. If you have to have a gun to hunt (I'll get on that soapbox another time), or feel you need a gun at home to defend yourself (I have wasp spray under my bed that does just fine, thank you), so be it. But no civilian needs an AK-47. Ever.


5. Cars kill more people than guns do. (Literally saw someone comment on a friend's post yesterday with this one.) That may be true, but I don't think people go out and buy cars with the intent to kill.




Many of my friends are parents. I can't believe any of you could be okay with the current state of society! If I had a child, I would be terrified to send her off to school. Or to church. Or to a movie. We need stricter background checks. We need to ban semi-automatic weapons. And we need to come together to see that these restrictions aren't taking anything away from our lives, they are in fact SAVING them.




#micdrop


#letthefacebookdefriendingbegin

No comments:

Post a Comment