Thursday, November 10, 2011

Scariest 30 seconds of my life

The Zoo party last weekend was actually super fun - plus I saw penguins and elephants, so that's ALWAYS a good Saturday night. But during the live auction, I had a momentary stroke when my dear co-worker, as a "joke," decided to raise my auction number for a $9,000 bid on two Centre Court tickets to the men's final at Wimbledon next year (plus two tickets to London, blah blah). I swear to you, those 30 seconds before someone bid $9,500 (which, let's be honest, was probably more like 5 seconds) were the most terrifying seconds ever. The company bigwigs at our table were all impressed, like "Wow! You're going for it?!" And I was trying not to let them see the perspiration on my upper lip. Like I have $9,000. Dear god.

And side bar: why is it that whenever I'm at a live auction (which, let's be honest again, isn't that often), I get an overwhelming desire to scratch my head. But I'm terrified to move my arms for fear that they'll think I'm bidding for something. So I just sit on my damn hands until the auction is over. Everyone is safer that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment