Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What does a girl have to do to get an elf these days??




The holiday season looms, and with my first Christmas in my new apartment rapidly approaching, I was thinking this could be the year I get a real tree. A BIG real tree. I've usually gone with two small fake trees, but in keeping with yesterday's "go big or go home" theme...


HOWEVER. Christmas isn't really the best holiday for a single person. I began to picture the scene: wandering around the Home Depot christmas tree lot by myself, touching various branches and pretending that I can tell the difference between a fir and a spruce. Sweet-talking some poor sap (whilst probably COVERED in sap) to tie the tree to my roof. Carefully pulling into the parking garage at my apartment complex to realize that I've left my scissors upstairs. Coming back down and untying the tree and realizing there is no way in HELL I can carry the thing myself, much less shove it into the bizarro christmas tree stand and make it nice and straight. (You should see the paintings I hung on the wall, thinking they were straight...) And then of course there's somehow putting the lights on it. Which I used to watch my parents do as a child, and there would always be cursing. And that was a TWO-person job. Add in the constant shedding of needles and the nightmare of taking the tree back down after the holidays, and I am getting very "Bah Humbug" about the whole situation.


That's the beauty of the pre-lit fake tree from Walmart. It's a single gal's holiday wish come true. Thanks, Santa.

2 comments:

  1. You can do it! I put one up every year in my house when I was single! IT is a great way to come home and makes it fun!!! YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete