Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Emily Post would just roll over in her grave.

Was invited over to a family dinner last night, and in an effort to be helpful, offered to set the table. At which point I went totally blank on which side of the plate the knife and fork went. I tried both options and went with the most logical one, although it looked wrong. And I later received confirmation from my mother that it WAS indeed wrong. Oh the humanity. Of course no one said anything at dinner, but I can just imagine the conversation after I left: "What a disaster. An embarrassment to private school education (and cotillions) everywhere!"

Will be buying some sort of table manners book on the way home. In case they decide to throw caution to the wind and invite me over again. (On the plus side, they may never ask for my help again...)

No comments:

Post a Comment