Thursday, August 27, 2015

Soapbox time.

I try to keep this blog light and upbeat, but yesterday's events in Virginia have really shaken me. Perhaps it's because I went to school to be a TV reporter, and easily could envision myself as Alison Parker. Or perhaps it's because these people were literally assassinated on live television. Yes, that must be it.

I live in Texas, and therefore I'm sure I am in the minority with my views on gun control. But the people that say "guns don't kill people; people kill people" just aren't correct! Guns DO kill people, and in America they kill people by an enormous margin over any other country:

I have friends who will no longer go to movie theaters, following the shootings in Colorado and Louisiana. (I foresee metal detectors coming soon to a theater near you.) Schools. Churches. And now just random people doing their job on the street. It's terrifying to me, and I'm not even a parent! I can't imagine how scared I would be raising a child in this nightmare.

If guns can't be banned entirely, at least make it more difficult to purchase one. Then, if the person is crazy and still wants to kill, they will - but perhaps that week or month of waiting will instead allow them to cool off and think rationally. Or get medical attention. Or whatever the case may be.

I am about to write my congressman, although living here I doubt it will do much good. But at least I can say I was proactive.

I hope expressing my opinion doesn't lose too many readers, but hey - it's my blog. :)

1 comment: