Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Stuck on you

When did cars become the ultimate bragging symbol? And I'm not even talking about the make and model - that's actually fine with me. I'm talking about the stickers on the back window, indicating how many lovely kids and pets you have in your family and what sports they all play. The stickers that say how many miles you have run (13.1! 26.2!) or what cool vacation spots you have been to. And of course the "My child is an honor student at XX middle school" nightmares.

I guess it all started with political party bumper stickers and "Baby on Board" tags in the 80s, although the latter was originally meant for safety. And then the college stickers - which I am guilty of sporting currently. My brother and I toured Harvard when I was in grad school in Boston (NOT at Harvard), and he bought a "Harvard Law" sticker for his car. Because we figured, who's gonna think you would put a FAKE brag sticker on your car? Might as well go all out. Go brag or go home, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment