Friday, July 9, 2010

Bring it, 33.


So tomorrow is my birthday. Happy happy joy joy. In my own honor, thought I'd take you back to that fateful day, 33 years ago... (Cue the Wayne's World squiggly lines "doo doo doo, doo doo doo, doo doo doo." Or Sophia on Golden Girls: "Picture it: Sicily, 1817...")

Sometimes I think, if I had popped out three days earlier, I could have been born on 7/7/77. Which would surely be super lucky (don't call me Shirley). Then again, considering I was already two months early, three more days and I probably would have died. Not that lucky.

So my dad was playing in a tennis tournament at Lakeway outside of Austin. He and my mom had done NADA to prepare for a baby, but figured they had two more months to get themselves in gear. And hell, this was the 70s. They were smoking and drinking it up anyway. (I'm sure my mother will post corrections/objections below.) Even my grandparents were there - it was a family affair.

I guess Sunday (the 10th) was the final, and my mom went into labor. They had to put the tournament on hold, but the crowd was thrilled because it became an open bar situation. (You're welcome, peeps.) The doctor told my dad it would be a long time, and he should go ahead and play. Completely in shock and out of it, he quickly lost in straight sets. And then I entered the world at a whopping 4 pounds, 1 ounce. Judging by the photos, I was HIDEOUS. Didn't really even look human. Awesome.

After a brief 3-week stint in the hospital, giving my parents time to run to Sears and buy a crib and diapers (no clothes, though - my grandmother had to sew doll clothes for me because I was so teensy), I headed home to Dallas. Where my mother promptly caught the kitchen on fire trying to heat up my first bottle. But I digress.

Cut to 33 years later, and I managed to turn out okay. Ish. :)

7 comments:

  1. OMG! I didn't realize you & Levi had so much in common. ;) Except he was only 3lbs at birth. 4 when we brought him home. Little peanut. And now you're both beautiful! Happy Day, a day early. (He was almost born on 7-8-09) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. of all the juicy details i've heard about your birth, i hadn't heard these. good times. it's a miracle you're here, and we're all blessed for it. well done, sue and dick!

    ps--did you know in holland everyone in the family is told "happy birthday"? i love it. it's like, you're all fortunate for your family member's birth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha what other "juicy details" have i been spreading?

    love the holland tradition. everyone should be damn happy i was born. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can now comment and follow!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay Hillbug! welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You missed a lot of good stuff: we had no crib, no birthing classes (what do you mean "breathe"??),and no name chosen. Other considerations were Susanna (after moi), Sisley (after these cool French jeans), Ramsey (family name) and Jessa Mae (my personal favorite). Alas we took no risks and named you Sarah. Or maybe you picked it.

    And Yes, I Am Filing a Complaint...I Did Not Drink or Smoke When Pregnant!! I was dying for a glass of wine, so I made you come early.

    ReplyDelete