Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Disaster. Natural disaster.

Hurricane Isaac did this to my dad's neighborhood in Florida:


As it continues to pummel New Orleans, I am reminded of my own experiences with hurricanes and tornados (much more common in Texas)...

In elementary school, we would have tornado drills, which I guess were similar to the "duck and cover" drills in the 60s - basically, get in the hall and duck and cover. Never had to use it, thank goodness - but I do remember a tornado coming through Dallas when I was little. My mom made us get into the hallway, close all the doors, and watch the little black and white tv for more information. We ate breakfast for dinner (yay!) and it was really more of a game than anything scary. Don't even think the power went out, so it must not have been too disastrous.

Hurricane Fran hit North Carolina when I was in college down there. I think some of my sorority sisters lost beach homes, but to me it was an excuse for "hurricane parties" and road trips because there was no power and we weren't supposed to use the water. I believe there were even some Hurricane Fran t-shirts printed up. Just sayin'.

Watching these poor reporters standing out in rain that is coming down sideways, barely able to stand because the winds are so strong, makes me glad I never found a job as a tv reporter. I mean, yes, you're on TV. But you look like crap and are seriously endangering your life. Who really wants that assignment. I ask you. (Not me.)

1 comment:

  1. see here now In my opinion that a property foreclosure can have a important effect on the client's life. Mortgage foreclosures can have a Six to decade negative effect on a client's credit report. A borrower that has applied for home financing or virtually any loans for example, knows that the actual worse credit rating is. see the more challenging it is for any decent bank loan. In addition, it may affect the borrower's capability to find a respectable place to lease or hire. Recommended Site if that will become the alternative houses solution. Thanks for your blog post. read what he said

    ReplyDelete