Wednesday, August 15, 2012

That's pronounced "Hah-mptons," dahling

As I said before, the only things I knew about the Hamptons were what I had seen on TV. Sex and the City, Revenge, Real Housewives. And I am happy to report it was nothing like that. Much more laid-back and beachy than I thought it would be. And laid-back and beachy suits me just fine. (As long as "beachy" includes platform heels and my rhinestone-covered phone. What?)

We stayed in a house with 8 or so other people - everyone shared rooms and bathrooms, and it was kind of college-y. Aside from the pool, tennis court, and the fact that Sir Paul McCartney's house was right next door. (He wasn't there, but his Rolls Royce was...)

We went over to another house for a bbq the first night, which was a lot of fun. The drinks were too strong and the guacamole was too weak, but it was super casual and everyone was very nice to the out-of-towner (me). Then we hit two of the three bars in Amagansett, including the live music venue featuring an 80s cover band, aka my dream night. But oddly the bar was packed with 20-somethings. I felt OLD. Which I am accustomed to in Dallas, but didn't see coming in the Hamptons. How these kids have the kind of money to party up there is beyond me. Sigh.

The next day was pretty rainy, but we were able to sneak in some pool time here and there (when peeling ourselves away from Olympic rhythmic gymnastics, of course). Late in the afternoon we hit Cyril's, which is famous for the BBC (Bailey's Banana Colada). With a rum floater, of course. Dear god it's delicious. I may have had two. Then dinner at an odd place that served both burgers and sushi, but was still quite tasty. And then back to the bars from the previous night. Where I recognized quite a few people from the night before. I guess that's how you make friends in the Hamptons - there's nowhere else to go, so you keep bumping into the same folks.

Back to the city on Sunday - and of course the weather was amazeballs the day we left. But all around, a great time. I felt fancy, I felt uncool, and I felt lucky - that's the dream, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment