Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Chai love you, tea parties

So today was a good day. Well, not a good day for my diet. Lunch with a co-worker friend at a little French place, and I decided I had to get the spinach and Gruyere crepes, #becauseeurope. Ironically this was listed on the "lighter side" of the menu, but it was so cheesy that I could only manage a few bites. Still - yay crepes.

Then I went to high tea at Sketch, which. Was. Heavenly. I tried to get in at fancy places like Claridges or the Savoy, but they were booked all month. I watch this Bravo show called Ladies of London, and on a whim started Googling the women on the show while I was here. You know, where they eat, where they shop, etc. (sad but true) One of the Americans has her own lifestyle website, and the latest "London Guide" entry happened to be "Top 5 Places to Have Tea." And Sketch was #1 on the list. My eyes glazed over at the very pinkness of the place, and I knew I had to see it for myself. So I booked a table and once again mastered the subway (er, tube) to get there.

It was only a few streets over from Carnaby Street, another spot I had never been but wanted to see, so I swung by there on the way to tea. For those that don't know, Carnaby Street was the center of the swinging mod scene in the 1960s. It's really cute over there - a pedestrian zone, with cobbled streets and no cars allowed. I went to Liberty London, which, with 6 floors, is almost as overwhelming to me as Harrods, and that's where I had a fun run-in with Mr Manolo Blahnik himself.

But back to the tea party. Because that's what it was. I probably should have sprung for the champagne version, but I stuck with tea. You get to pick the flavor of tea out of a list of about 40, and then they bring a tray of delights: 5 tiny but beautiful sandwiches, two levels of gorgeous pastries, and a scone. For the menu, see here. I ate one tiny sandwich and the scone, and took a bite out of three tiny desserts. I'm not proud of it, but it WAS my dinner...and that makes it okay, right?? The diet starts when I get home. #carbloading

Leaving bright (actually dark) and early for Salzburg - Austria adventures coming soon!

#peaceoutuk

No comments:

Post a Comment