Friday, November 13, 2015

THIS is one of my favorite things

I get why Julie Andrews was singing - Salzburg is amazing. So adorable, so easy to get around, and so magical at Christmas! I wish I was staying for the Christmas market - opens November 20 - but they were setting up yesterday so at least I got a preview. The old town area is pedestrians only, so you can just wander through the squares and the cobblestone streets, going in and out of little shops, bakeries and cafes, while the church bells peal (seriously - it went on for 6 solid minutes at one point). Pretty incredible. I hiked to the top of the fortress (and it was truly a hike - I was exhausted, sweaty and out of breath by the time I got up there), but totally worth it for the great views of the city. Went to Mozart's birthplace - his presence is felt all over the city, especially on chocolates (?) - and bought myself a nice pink Austrian hat. #becauseeurope

Last night was the three-course candlelit dinner at St Peter Stifskeller, the oldest restaurant in Europe, and it was so lovely and beautifully decorated for the holidays. Our waiter was a big Cowboys fan, which was hilarious, even showing me a picture from Facebook of his trip to Dallas to see a game (!). The musicians were dressed in Mozart-ish attire and were fantastic, as were the opera singers. I kept having to pinch myself, listening to this music and looking around at my surroundings. I sat next to a mother-daughter duofrom Sydney who have been on an 8-week European dream vacation. They have literally been EVERYWHERE, and they still have two more weeks. Truly incredible to talk to them.

Getting to Austria wasn't as easy as I had hoped, however - got busted in every airport security line I went through, and I feel like I was innocent both times. In London, apparently it's not just liquids that have to go in the clear plastic bags, but also creams and pastes? WTF. Plus they said my iPad had to be treated like a laptop, which it doesn't in the US. And then in Austria, I didn't realize that just by changing planes in Vienna I would have to go through security again, so the nice bottle of water I bought in London had to get tossed out. I mean I was already in the terminal! Why security again?? Oh well. Live and learn.

Have bought entirely too many souvenirs and I think I am going to have to leave my Texas flag neck pillow here just to have a chance of getting everything back on the plane. Good times.

Today: Sound of Music tour and then a train to Vienna tonight! #thehillsarealive

No comments:

Post a Comment