Thursday, November 19, 2015

I don't even know how to say 9-1-1 in German.

So as I mentioned, I was fending off a bladder infection while in Europe. Stupidly I forgot my insurance card and was petrified of having to go to some hospital in Hungaria where I didn't speak the language and might wind up losing an arm due to miscommunication. I realized I wasn't drinking much water - mostly because of the whole pay-to-pee thing - so I started buying bottles of water wherever I could find them, and chugging to re-hydrate. But it still wasn't working, so I found a health food shop in Salzburg and wandered until I found the medicine aisle. Now, of course everything was in German, but I finally found a pack of pills that said "Cranberry." DONE - who cares what else is in there! I took the pills to the register and asked if the lady spoke any English. She said she only spoke a little, so I may have made some embarrassing gestures to inquire if these pills would help with a bladder infection. She said yes, so I accepted that and ended up taking every single pill while I was over there. Eastern European medicine: 1, infections: 0. Well-played, Austria.

No comments:

Post a Comment