Monday, November 16, 2015

This one's for you, Deane

Went to Graz yesterday - it was a long 12-hour day, but a beautiful city. Unfortunately, all the stores were closed since it was Sunday, so there wasn't much to do once I got there, but I climbed to the top of the Shlossberg, a fortress on a hill with great expansive views. I would pass places that said "established 1541" and think, "hey - my grandfather might have seen that!" (And yes, I realize that 1943 was much more recent than 1541.) But then realizing his leg had been shot off prior to getting shot down, he probably wasn't doing much sightseeing. (Also due to the fact that this was enemy territory and he would soon be a POW.) But it was certainly cool to be there and know that he had landed not far away.

Since I didn't get to shop yesterday (the horror!), I have quite a few euros to blow today in Venice. Since I fly back to London tonight and back to Dallas tomorrow, today is my last chance. If I must shop, I must.(God forbdid I bring any money home. Although the currency exchange rate won't be very good anyway...) #becauseeurope

No comments:

Post a Comment