Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Back by popular demand: The Shocker Story




Someone brought this to my attention this morning, and I figured not all of my 36 readers may have heard this classic yet embarassing story. Gather round.




A few jobs ago, I was the PR Director at a local college. I had been there for a couple of months, and we were having a "wear-your-favorite-college-tshirt" day on campus. I was responsible for composing the email to the entire staff and faculty, and in my infinite wisdom, decided to be funny. I added "No face paint, please" and google-imaged "face paint." The above image popped up, and I loved it and dropped it into the email and hit "send."




A few minutes later, the president of the school called me into his office and asked if I knew what the "shocker" was. I shook my head, but then realized that yes i DID know what it was. He pulled up this photo and told me a staffer had noticed that this kid was doing the shocker with his hands. I thought they were just weird "W's." (Side bar: Wichita State mascot: SHOCKERS. Who knew.)




I totally thought I would be fired, having sent a sexual act to 200+ colleagues, but luckily my boss thought it was HILARIOUS. He pulled up the Wikipedia definition in the next executive meeting and passed the laptop around so those out of the loop could learn a little something. The "ooh's" and "OMG's" were cringe-worthy. And people would bring up the story all the time. "Sarah, isn't that SHOCKING?" "I'm SHOCKED, Sarah - what about you?"




Oh the humanity.


3 comments:

  1. This picture tells so much more than 1000 words. Is this a he/she? I think I see boobage...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you clearly weren't at the ATO house enough in college. big topic of conversation there. :)

    ReplyDelete