Thursday, March 1, 2012

From totally geek to totally chic. And then back to geek.

Moving back to Dallas after grad school was kind a low point for me. Couldn't find a job to save my life, was living in a one-bedroom garage apartment with my mom (which was in Highland Park, it's only saving grace), and driving the most disastrous automobile ever. It was a black Nissan Sentra that I bought from a Nigerian guy who placed an ad in the paper. (If that's not a good idea, I don't know what is.) The clincher: he didn't have the title, so for the entire year and a half that I owned that thing, I had to keep whiting out the date on the paper temporary license plate and blackening in a new date. WHITE TRASH.

I finally found a (very sad) job working as a receptionist at a Mercedes dealership. Had to wear a uniform and a nametag, which was a bummer after wearing a uniform for 8 years in middle/high school. Plus the fact that my high school friends were all doing really well and would come in to BUY a Mercedes. As I cowered behind the front desk. Oh the humanity.

So one weekend I had a hot date and the Sentra died. No big shocker there. But I had to get to the guy's house, so my manager told me I could borrow a car from the dealership. I said "um, okay." He told me to just pick one. I said, "um, OKAY. I'll take the white SLK convertible please." And what followed was the best 48 hours of my life. I drove that thing all around town, my mom and I paraded it around the grocery store parking lot, etc. etc. And then on Monday I had to turn in the pretty little key. I think I cried a little bit.

But at least I had that one shining weekend to see how the other half lives. And then got a bitch-slap back into reality.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah. It's like you were the dudes from the parking garage in _Ferris Bueller's Day Off_. Live and let live. I mean, you only get so many chances in life. I'm just so glad someone saved you from the Sentra tragedy. And look at you now, Babycakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCH a good comparison to the Ferris Bueller parking attendants!!

    ReplyDelete