Thursday, June 16, 2011

Songs that make you go hmmm

I think it's so wild how hearing a certain song can transport you back to a particular time/place/outfit (maybe that last one is just me). The other day I heard "Breakfast at Tiffany's" by Deep Blue Something and was immediately back in 1995 as a high school senior. It got me thinking about other songs and their time-travel abilities...walk with me, won't you?

*"Borderline" by Madonna: I'm 8 and at a friend's Madonna-themed birthday party. Complete with gummy bracelets.

*"You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morrissette: freshman year of college. Most likely drunk.

*"Look Away" by Chicago: couple skate at Hot Wheels, circa 1986

*"Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order: 8th grade dances

*"Vogue" by Madonna: Bar Mitvahs at Temple Emmanuel

*"Romeo and Juliet: by the Indigo Girls: all high school, all the time

*"Walk Like an Egyptian" by the Bangles: 4th grade jazz dance. And yes, I remember some of the moves.

And now I need to go make a mixed tape.

2 comments:

  1. There's something to this outfit memory thing. I can't remember faces or names, but I can remember outfits. Dallas much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok this post is months old but your 800th post message got me toodling around on this bad boy. i can't believe it's been so long since i read your blog - love it. anywho - I still remember the beginning of Walk Like an Egyptian too! It was the first time we met (before you went to Hockaday). My mom had a pic of me in that costume and might I say that I sure wish I was that skinny now ;-)

    ReplyDelete