Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Traffic, I loathe you

Usually it takes about 25 minutes to get to work in the morning. Thanks to an over-turned SUV, it took me 90 minutes this morning. Aside from the fear of bursting my bladder, it was a very eye-opening experience.
1. Thank god for smartphones. everywhere I looked, people were talking, texting, and answering emails from their little mobile offices, er, cars. (And it was stopped traffic, don't worry. I saw the Oprah about texting while driving.)
2. Lots of people must not listen to traffic reports on the radio. They repeatedly said the left three lanes were blocked, and yet I kept seeing idiots get into the far left lane. Good luck with that, peeps.
3. Does no one wave anymore? And I'm talking about polite waving, not crazy-ass waving with the finger. I ALWAYS wave when someone lets me in. And I let in like five cars - not ONE person waved thank you. Humph. Southern hospitality my ass.
4. The radio talked so much about the over-turned vehicle and the onlooker traffic going the opposite direction that I was pretty curious to see this disaster for myself. But just as I finally got to the scene, they had righted the car and loaded it onto a tow truck. CURSES.
5. My road rage is still in tact. Passed by the wreck, traffic started flowing, and this huge bus in front of me came once again to a screeching halt. At this point I was about an hour late for work and just laid on the horn. WHAAAAAAAAAA. And again. WHAAAAAAAA. Finally the bus moved into another lane (ha - showed you!), and I figured out the reason for the stop: the car in front of him had stalled. Oopsie. Hoping it wasn't a bus full of children or the elderly. But I figure, I was nice enough to let five cars in. A little horn action was par for the course at that point.

Can't wait to do it all again at 5 pm. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment