Thursday, August 19, 2010

Home Depot makes me feel stupid

Went to Home Depot yesterday to buy a new fancy lock to help prevent robbers from getting in to my apartment. First off, I made the woman greeting people literally walk me to the aisle of locks. That place is so overwhelming - does a lock fall under "doors?" "tools?" "hardware?" (Answer: hardware.)

Was talking to the salesguy about how to install it, and asked if it was really difficult and should I get someone to come do it for me. He goes, "no, it's not hard - if you're just a little handy, you can do it." And I'm out. Not a little handy. Not even a little bit. I hang things on the wall with double-stick tape and push-pins. Classy!

Fingers crossed the maintenance guy at my complex can put his handiness to good use. Knowing that he's coming today, I left a lovely list of other "chores" he can tackle. Hate for him to come all that way for a teeny little lock that apparently even a "somewhat handy" GIRL could install...

2 comments:

  1. Handy test: Let's guess how many of these things Sarah can do!
    a) sew on a button
    b) put air in her tires
    c) light the pilot for a gas heater; know that this doesn't refer to an airline pilot
    d) use a screwdriver and hammer
    e) know which way to turn a light bulb to loosen or tighten it

    My guess is none of the above. (I definitely need to get a job)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done C, D and E, thank you very much. Sort of know about B, and A I have tried but it's not pretty.

    ReplyDelete