Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Maybe I should work somewhere where I have to wear a uniform


I have been told twice that my outfits are not conservative enough for the workplace. Um. The guy across from me wears jeans and a t-shirt every day. Not exactly a law firm, people. And sadly, yesterday's ensemble felt pretty office-appropriate to me. And then I was told that my cute pink wedges were "too high" for the office? Exsqueeze? It's not like they're clear plastic stripper shoes...

I got sent home once before at my very first job out of college. Mind you, I had just gotten back from a wild weekend in Mexico at like 2 a.m. the night before, with a head full of cornrows. That's right. So I got up and started unbraiding, but time was ticking away so I ended up pulling my hair back into pigtails, with beaded braids on the underside. Sad but true. And as an added homage to my trip, wore a long pink dress that I bought on the beach from a kid selling Chiclets. Okay, I will accept inappropriate. I was 21 and didn't really care.

But it continues to happen...I'm just not a black suit and pumps kind of person. Maybe I need to go back to school and be a nurse or something. Scrubs might work for me. As if I didn't get enough of wearing a uniform at Hockaday for 8 years...ha.

3 comments:

  1. I think you were deeply traumatized by having to wear green and white plaids skirts for so many years. Then you "graduated" to jeans and a white tank top. And now it's wowser. My little "envelope pusher." Yo mama is proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, I have NEVER worn jeans and a white tank top to work. I don't think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have secondary anxiety...

    ReplyDelete