Wednesday, June 30, 2010

YO.

Any Hockaday peeps out there...are you aware that there's a Y.O. Ranch steakhouse in Dallas? I think we need to take a field trip and relive the magic/nightmare that was the Y.O. Ranch experience.

For the non-Hockadaisies, every freshman class takes a trip to Y.O. Ranch to "bond" as a class. Because nothing says bonding like 80 smelly girls out in the woods. No clue where this place is, but our bus broke down outside of Kerrville, as I recall, so it must be somewhere in that region. We broke into groups with animal names and sounds (I believe I was in "Ostriches, Puaaah!" due to the sound that an ostrich head might make popping out of the sand? Whatever. We were 14.), and had a variety of activities and trust games and other thrilling experiences.

The thing I remember most was the camp-out. The group was together at one point, but each girl had to spend one night completely alone in the wilderness. We had a fire, one tortilla, a slice of American cheese and an apple. I remember this so vividly because it was so ridiculous. (And I made a delicious quesadilla, thank you very much.) How terrifying to be stuck out there with wild animals totally alone? Or am I just over-dramatizing my memories? (I wouldn't put it past myself...)

Anywho. Now there's a Y.O. restaurant. Might have to bust out a bandana do-rag (there are sadly photos that I wore one on the original trip), rub some dirt on my face, and head over. Puaaaah.

3 comments:

  1. I live next door to the YO Ranch steakhouse. I'm IN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I don't remember any overnight solo. I remember overnight fire-watching shifts to make sure the fire didn't go out.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must have over-dramatized. Typical. :)

    ReplyDelete