Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Because drinking holidays are awesome

Does anyone you know actually celebrate Cinco de Mayo because they are Mexican? Or celebrate St. Patrick's Day because they came over from Ireland? Doubtful. The beauty of these holidays is they have nothing to do with our lives but give us the perfect excuse to get hammered.

Yes, many people drink at Christmas - egg nog doesn't count - but that's mostly to numb the annoyance of family. (or is that just me?) I personally don't get drunk at Easter or on President's Day. Now, as a single gal, Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve ARE drinking holidays, simply to help me forget how painful it is to be single on those days of the year. But again - there's a REASON for the liquor.

Cinco de Mayo is just a day that means nothing to me in the historical sense (seriously - Mexican independence day? No. Something about beating the French? Whatever.), and that ignorance is bliss. Especially after a few margaritas.

Ole!

4 comments:

  1. what's funny is i hear mexicans don't even like corona, so all these gringos are packing into tex-mex restaurants "for cinco de mayo" and doing absolutely nothing mexican.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about a nice tequila shooter? How do they feel about that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard last night that the victory celebrated by Cinco de mayo the mexican's promptly turned around and lost on the 6th de mayo.....not sure if its true but it made me chuckle....and chug my corona!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LANDRIC love that you're reading this.
    And also amusing. I think next year I'm going to throw a Quatro de Mayo party. What's one day, in the long run??

    ReplyDelete