Friday, May 28, 2010

Memorial Day musings

I read that 1,000 WWII vets die every day, and by 2020 there won't be any left. So sad!!

So with Memorial Day just around the corner, I'm going to use this blog post to honor my Grandad, who passed away back in 1993. He was a bombardier and got shot down over Germany - lost his leg and had a wooden leg (which just meant good handicapped parking spots for life!) - after jumping out of the plane TWICE. (He jumped, his chute got caught, and so he had to pull himself back up and jump out again.) And apparently he smoked a Lucky cigarette on the way down. That's what I'm talking about.

My grandmother also just told me that he was too skinny to get into the Air Force, so the day of his weigh-in he ate like 50 bananas and chugged 2 gallons of milk. That put him over the weight requirement by two pounds, and then he went outside and puked his guts out. His buddies called him "Bananas" for a while after that. My kind of guy. :)

3 comments:

  1. AW. That's wonderful. He would love that. Let's all drink a bourbon and branch in his honor. My favorite story was when he was using his artificial leg to brace a board he was hammering. He nailed his leg to the board, so just whacked on it until it came loose. A neighbor saw the whole thing and just about passed out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I miss Grandad. Loved reading that story, Sarah! He was such a sweet grandad. Makes me miss Poppy!

    ReplyDelete